I've been the organizer for House of Genius Boulder for a little over a year now and have had a blast. In that time I've invited over 150 businesspeople help more than 40 entrepreneurs move forward with their business. If you're interested in volunteering a couple of hours each week to split my workload as Co-Organizer, read on.
Two hours each week
In order to organize the event each month, I spend a couple hours each week doing a variety of tasks:
- spreading the word about House of Genius at other events in the community
- reviewing requests for invitations to curate each session's group
- screening entrepreneurs who would like to present
- handling logistics for the venue and food
- following up after sessions with session notes
I'd also like to spend some time being proactive about:
- staying in closer touch with former contributors and presenters
- obtaining sponsors
- making Boulder the example city for the rest of the House of Genius network
- improving the overall experience for contributors and presenters
Overall it's a manageable commitment, even for one person. Why invite somebody else into the mix? It's analogous to wanting a workout buddy - I'm looking for somebody to keep me in a routine and to have some fun with.
What you get in return
Here's what I've gotten out of volunteering my time so far:
- warm fuzzies - House of Genius helps entrepreneurs move forward with their businesses in a way that other Boulder events aren't able to
- a network of organizers in key entrepreneurial communities across the country and globe; this network is likely to expand to over a hundred cities in the next two years
- access to the founding team and executive director, an incredible group of people making shit happen
- introductions to scores of entrepreneurs and other businesspeople from ouy community
I'd love to hear from you if you're wanting to work with me on House of Genius Boulder: email@example.com. If you've got somebody else in mind, send 'em my way!